Pages

Tuesday 22 September 2015

Not an Angry Rant But a Comment on Society.

(I am going to try my hardest to make this not sound like a rant but I have had enough.)

As a young woman, I have grown up feeling anxious  of what other people might think of me and pressured to look a certain way. I know for a fact, I am not alone in this matter and alot of my friends feel this way and it breaks my heart. It is not right nor fair that as women (and people) we should feel so heavily judged by society.

I always knew that the double standards for men and women were not equal but recently after an incident one of my closest friends when through, I now understand the full extent of these unjust views and I have never been angrier about the way society is.

My friend (I won't state her name for obvious reasons) went to party, she got drunk and she ended up kissing a younger guy. Following the party, she has been called a 'slut' and indirectly she has recieved masses of insults. I know that if it was a male in her position they would be treated entirely differently to her and glamorized for their actions which is so wrong and ridiculous. The guy who she kissed is recieving a lot of congratulations about what he has done yet she is being ridiculed and mistreated?? The double standards for men and women are ridiculous and this needs to change.

I knew it was a problem, but I was being passive in assuming that it didnt matter (not until the issue was faced by a close friend)  since I was not involved in this problem. I know other people are thinking in a similar way to me but we can't do this to ourselves. Men and Women are equal. We should not be shaming one for what the other is glamorized for, it is unfair and stupid.

I know this single blog post won't make much of a difference but we need to realize as a society that this mindset is minimizing all the chances we have in our lives. We need to change these dumb double standards and change this by speaking out against these comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment